Most low-power wireless IoT projects never make it past the proof-of-concept phase. It is easy to underestimate the complexity of low-power wireless projects, as they require optimization at all stages of the design process: analog design, digital design, firmware design, and even optimization of API protocols and software applications on the gateway. On top of this, the target price point is often its own separate challenge. Low-power IoT is the hardest problem in all IT today, but Haystack has years of experience succeeding where others have failed and can help bring your product to market in less time and for less money than going it alone.
- Low-Power Design: Building a low-power embedded device that can run on a battery for many years requires selecting the right components, utilizing a communication system designed for low-power (e.g. DASH7), and also designing firmware that is highly optimized for efficiency. Haystack IoT systems tend to operate in the 20-100µW range, depending on application, mostly thanks to low-power firmware optimization.
- Security & Cryptography: Haystack has experience in building its own implementations of AES as well as public-key security systems, tailored to meet the special needs of low-power IoT.
- Error Correction Algorithms: The long range performance of Haystack DASH7 products has much to do with our implementation of advanced error correction algorithms that our competitors have not been able to achieve. Haystack can craft an optimal coding scheme for your wireless IoT application.
- MCU Support: We are generally vendor agnostic, however we use ST and TI ARM Cortex-M parts in our own designs as we find these have the best mix of performance, cost, and availability.
- Analog Design: Haystack has demonstrated that incredible performance can be achieved with low cost components, where others run into noise and matching problems that plague performance. Our secret is excellence in analog design optimization. Every PCB trace matters. Enclosure design matters. If you expect to simply plop a semiconductor company’s reference design onto a PCB and get optimal performance, you are headed for disappointment.
- Antenna Design: Antenna design is even more esoteric than analog design. Haystack has special expertise designing compact antennas for sub-1GHz frequencies. Even if you decide to use a module, you will need to pay attention to the antenna and enclosure design.
- Digital Design: Modern PCB design tools make digital design far more accessible to the masses, but inexperienced designers often make mistakes in the digital domain that lead to noise problems and antenna problems in the analog domain. Haystack’s digital design excellence allows us to spin quickturn prototypes that are ultra-compact yet will not need surprise re-designs after regulatory inspections (e.g. FCC, CE, UL) reveal problems.
Design for Manufacturing: Haystack knows how to design a product that can be manufactured and assembled efficiently.
- Mobile Development: Haystack has implemented IoT gateway and application software for iOS and Android platforms, allowing users to leverage these widely available low cost devices in their IoT solutions.
- Tools & APIs: Tools and APIs are available for any POSIX-compliant system, needed to bridge the IoT endpoints with the client application software.
- Cloud Development: Haystack product solutions often interface with cloud applications and databases. Our design experience includes the cloud layer, often used in concert with mobile apps.